Part burgers, part bar, Flipside Bar & Burger opened in April 2012 to much Santa Rosa ado. The space was under construction for what seemed like years by local restaurateur Nino Rabbaa (Rendez Vous Bistro). After the novelty of opening, the consensus is that the burgers are good (if not great), but the breezy, indoor-outdoor location and strong drinks are the what gives it staying power.
– On the menu: Burgers from simple to exotic (fried egg, Gruyere, etc), using top shelf Angus beef and sustainably sourced ingredients for between $8 and $10.
– In addition to burgers, we tried a rack of sweet and savory ribs with a tower of onion rings and probably the best mac and cheese (dressed up with truffle oil and mushrooms) we’ve had in years.
– Appetizers and sides we tried included spicy jalepenos stuffed with bacon cream cheese, a chili and cheese filled potato skin and thin-cut fries. Rabbaa expects to add a lineup of sauces and aiolis to mix and match.
– Dessert: Handmade shakes (banana, strawberry, cookies and cream, vanilla) and an apple crumble with housemade vanilla gelato were inspired.
– Full bar plus beer and wine
– A sexy outdoor lounge seats 40 and includes a fire pit
– Open for breakfast (serving Illy coffee), lunch and dinner.
– Patrick Tafoya, formerly of P/30, Peloton Catering and The Duck Club has taken over as food and beverage manager for Flipside and Rendez Vous. He’s also been tapped to help build the expanding Rabbaa “empire” (including the former Space XXV and whispers of a French bakery to come). Chef de cuisine for Flipside is Joshua Dellwo.